Student and Parent Thoughts Regarding C.E.S.A.R.
When I (Michelle) visited Milwaukee in mid-March, I asked the parents of CESAR students to respond to these questions:
What has been of the most benefit to your child, being in CESAR?
How do you feel about your child going to Mexico in June?
Here are the responses:
Sue McCarthy: Parent of Maya McCarthy Neal
1. I feel like there are many benefits of this program for Maya. Learning Spanish, being able to appreciate and learn about other cultures and experiences with peers; exploring all that Milwaukee has to offere
2. I am thrilled for Maya to have this opportunity. For me this opportunity is comparable to learning to read and developing a love of reading. It opens up the world and possibilities in life.
Yolanda Haines: Parent of Sean and Micheal Copening
1. I am very thankful for this program because I really can’t teach them all the things they are learning with Ms. Teneisha. I bless her for coming into my kids’ life with this program
Sarah Brier: Parent of Nyesha Brown
1. Being in a social group outside of school, interacting with other kids from different schools. Nyesha is really enjoying the program
2. Mixed feelings (still have them!) However, I know that I can’t let that hold me back from letting her experience this opportuntity. I feel comfortable knowing that if/when I have questions, I know I can ask and receive an open and honest answer.
Aric and Tomeca Cunnigham: Parents of Myzel Arbunkle
1. Learning Spanish- that alone will be beneficial to Myzel’s future.
2. At first I had mixed feelings about the trip. Just the thought of your child being out of the country for two weeks is scary, but after meeting with Teneisha as well as Myzel’s feedback and experiences we have come to handle our fears and realize this will help our child so much. It will change his entire outlook on life
I asked the students what they most enjoyed about the program and specific memories they had. Some of their responses were:
Michael Copening: I enjoyed when we made a Mexican meal and when we went to the Mall on a scavenger hunt (while we were learning about child labor). We learned where many different things come from. I also like to do art projects (like making posters about child labor and maps of the world).
Shacquan Ellis: I enjoy every Saturday (we go on field trips on Saturdays). Those are the best days. And I am looking forward to Mexico because I want to learn how to cook Mexican food and to learn how to say things I don’t know how to say yet.
Sean Copening: I enjoy the Spanish class because it teaches me a new language and learning Spanish is fun.
Myzel Arbunkle: My favorite is the Spanish claas and the fact that they are taking us to Mexico! Also the Saturday activities are awesome…
Dacolis: I like when we had frozen yogurt and nachos.. and the Saturday activities. I also liked the visit to the Black Holocaust Museum.