Visa Application Instructions
Upon receiving your notice of acceptance into the semester program, you will need to apply for your Indian visa. You can download the visa application form here.
However, you should be careful to time your application so that it reaches the consulate no sooner than mid-June because visas are valid for 180 days and count from the day of issue.
Please complete the India Visa Application Form according to the instructions below.
You will need to send your application to the Consulate that handles your state of residence.
If you live in: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virgin Islands, please send your package to:
Consulate General of India, New York
3 East, 64th Street
New York, NY 10021
If you live in: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, please send your package to:
Consulate General of India - San Francisco
540 Arguello Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94118
If you live in: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, please send your package to:
Consulate General of India, Chicago
455 N. Cityfront Plaza Drive, Suite 850
Chicago, IL 60611
If you live in: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, please send your package to:
Consulate General of India
1990 Post Oak Boulevard # 600
3 Post Oak Central
Houston, TX 77056
You will need to send your Visa Application Package a minimum of ONE MONTH before your program start date. This package MUST include the following:
1.) Your passport (the original, not a copy), which must be good through six months after your return date to the United States. If you passport is new, please make sure you have signed the first page's signature line. Please make two copies of the front page of your passport before sending it away. Send one copy to Global LAB and keep one copy for yourself.
2.) The Visa Application Form (download here) filled out as per the directions below. Carefully review your form to make sure it is complete before sending it to the Consulate. Also- you must sign the application. We recommend you copy your completed form before sending it away.
3) TWO 2"x 2" identical passport photographs (these must be real color photos- black and white print outs or copies do NOT work) stapled to the right hand corner of the Visa Application Form.
4) $60: Your money order / bank draft / certified check made out to the Consulate General of India. This covers your visa fee of $60.
5) One prepaid Express Mail envelope with your address on it, enclosed with your application, for the Consulate to use to mail back your passport. We recommend that you note of the tracking number on the envelope before sending it away.
* Send your package only through Express Mail or Federal Express to ensure its safe arrival!!!*
CHECKLIST: Please actually read and check the boxes below to ensure proper processing!
□ Passport, valid for 6 months after program end date
□ Passport is definitely signed by you
□ 2 Photocopies of the inside page of your passport- send one to Global LAB
□ Completed Visa Application Form
□ Two identical passport photographs stapled to the Visa Application Form
□ Photocopy of the completed Visa Application Form
□ Money Order to General Consulate of India for $60
□ Prepaid Express Mail self-addressed envelope for return of your passport
□ Packet sent Federal Express or Express Mail, tracking number noted.
Please read the instructions carefully and complete the Visa Application Form neatly and according to the directions below. Make sure you answer every item. Passport related information can be found on the inside page of your passport. The numbers relate to the line item on the actually application:
1) Write your full name.
2) Complete this line only if your name was different when you were born.
3) Check appropriate marital status.
4) Complete only if you have a maiden name.
5) Complete your date of birth.
6) Check the correct gender.
7) Write your place of birth, including the country.
8) List your current nationality.
9) Check "no" if you have a US passport.
10) List your nationality at birth.
11) Leave blank unless you have had other nationalities.
12) List your present address.
13) List your phone number.
14) List your permanent address.
15) Write "Student" or "Educator" unless you have a different profession.
16) If you are a student, leave blank. If you're an educator, please put the name and address of your employer.
17) List your passport number.
18) List validity date of passport.
19) List where your passport was issued.
20) List the date it was issued.
21) Give your father or husband's name.
22) List the nationality of your father or husband.
23) List the nationality of your mother.
24) Check "Tourist Visa."
25) Check "Six months."
26) Answer only if you have visited India before.
27) Answer "No."
28) Answer "No."
29) Answer "Travel." (Do not put in extra explanations of your trip on this line.)
30) Answer "No."
31) Leave blank.
32) Answer with the date of first day of the program.
33) Answer with the date of second day of the program.
34) Answer "New Delhi."
35) Leave blank.
36) A) Mr. Kelsang Phuntsog, Wisdom Tours and Travels, Mg Marg, Gangtok 737101 Sikkim
B) Mr. John Eastman, Global LAB, 4818 43rd Street, #4C, Woodside, NY 11377
Bottom: Write your full name in the blank space, sign, and give your place and date. MAKE SURE YOU SIGN THIS APPLICATION!